Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:51:46 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        rjk@wintek.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sanity Check on Mac Mini

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

> On 7 March 2013, at 11:57, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

> last year by Richard Kuhns.  YongHyeon PYUN provided some patches to the
> kernel that resolved the problem.  However, without an internet connection
> its a bit tricky to get them into the system.  Here is the approach I
> believe will work, but wanted to check first before I really mess things up.

> comments indicate such.  Thus I don't need to apply the original supplied
> patch.

> include the system source.

> > > That's worked for me 3 times now.
> >
> > Thanks.  Well, I got 9.1 Release installed, but it won't boot from the
> internal disk.  It doesn't see the disk as bootable.  I installed using the
> entire disk for FreeBSD.  I used the i386 release.  Perhaps I need to
> switch to the amd64 release?
> >
> > I would generally recommend using the amd64 release, but it may not get
> your system to boot.
> >
> > How is your disk partitioned? GPT? Some BIOSes are broken and assume
> that a GPT formatted disk is UEFI and will not recognize them if they lack
> the UEFI boot partition. UEFI boot is a current project that seems likely
> to reach head in the fairly near future, but it's not possible now.
>
> No idea what the default partitioning is for BSDInstall.  However the Mini
> is only EFI or UFEI with some fallbacks although the comments I find in the
> web indicate that different models have different fallbacks.
>
> One comment indicates that an older unit will boot if its MBR
> partitioning.  I don't know if the new installer supports that or not.
>

> > You may be able to tweak your BIOS to get it to work or you may have to
> install using the traditional partitioning system. The installer defaults
> to GPT, but can create either.
> >
> > I have such a system (ThinkPad T520) and I have two disks... one that
> came with the system and containing Windows, and my GPT formatted FreeBSD
> disk. I wrote a FreeBSD BootEasy boot into the MBR of the Windows disk and
> it CAN boot the GPT disk just fine. Not ideal for most, but it works well
> for me
>
> Based on a comment I say, waiting till the empty folder icon appears and
> then plugging in the install memstick causes the mini to boot from disk.
>  That just downright weird, but it works.  I could live with that, but this
> is an unattended server and would experience some down time if I am not
> there when there is a power failure.
>
> I just found some "instructions" for using MBR with bsdinstall, but given
> there is an effort to create a UEFI boot which I suspect would expect to
> find the GPT boot partition, perhaps I should just go with the memstick
> approach

To be cleat, you just insert the thumb drive and the hard drive boots? That
IS weird! Or do you get the BootEasy prompt for the partition/disk you want
to boot? If the latter, the system is processing the MBR from the thumb
drive and using that to boot the GPT disk.

I am not an expert on EFI or UEFI. I know EFI is older and UEFI replaced it
about five years ago. I am not entirely clear on the differences, but I
assume a newer Mac Mini would be UEFI. My experience with boot loaders is,
to put it politely, ancient. I mean pre-BIOS. I have, at best, a limited
understanding of BIOS booting and not much on UEFI, but I know that UEFI
can boot devices using the old PC partitioning system as well as GUID (GPT)
partitioned ones. The Wikipedia article on UEFI is enlightening.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com