Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:04:14 +0100
From:      Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Introduction

Hi,

I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat (South France). I'm 100%
GNU/Linux since 2001, I started out with Slackware 7.1, then after a few
years of using Slackware and Debian, I moved to CentOS in 2006, a clone
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I'm running a one-man computer company
(Microlinux: http://www.microlinux.fr) spezialized in computer solutions
based on GNU/Linux and FOSS.

Up until now, I never gave FreeBSD a try, but sometimes I used to
stumble over the documentation, and I always thought: heck, this is how
an operating system should be documented. I even went so far as to be
almost jealous of the handbook, and wishing there was something similar
for Linux (so I went and even wrote one: http://tinyurl.com/no254g)

But a few days ago I decided to take the plunge. No, not migrate all my
machines to FreeBSD. But I have two old NEC PowerMates in my office, for
teaching and testing purposes, and I decided to download FreeBSD 8.0, do
a lot of RTFM and just play with it and see if I can make it do all the
things I'm doing with Linux (and maybe more). More recently, I've been
attracted by the more centralized (and way less chaotic) development
model of FreeBSD.

So far, after reading chapters 1 to 5 from the fine Handbook, I managed
to install FreeBSD, configure X11 and install XFCE. This all raised a
few questions, so I thought my next move would be to say hello in this
list and ask my questions here, very soon.

Cheers from the freezing South of France,

Niki Kovacs