Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:18:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        donegan@quick.net
Subject:   Re: IPSEC support?

> Is there any IPSEC support available for current? I've found support for
> 2.2.8, but not so far for current.

KAME has support for 3.1-RELEASE.  I don't know how far -current has
diverged, but you might want to try www.kame.net. KAME is IP6 and IPSEC,
but you can compile it with only IPSEC.

You should note that KAME and the IPDIVERT option are mutually exclusive,
unless they've fixed it in the last week (snaps come out Sunday/Monday
and I haven't had the chance to test the last snap).

If all else fails, you can hack up something using IPDIVERT that does ESP
transport in userspace (not full IPSEC) in a weekend.  At least that's how
long it took me.  The code is not ready to be released, and I'm not sure I
want to go through the hassle of trying to export-control it at any rate
(US citizen vs government stupidity).

(ref the not full IPSEC, RFC2401 just came out a few months ago, is three
times the size of the previous IPSEC RFC (1825), and mandates a lot of
things that I'm not ready to start coding).