Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 17:29:41 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> > > And jamming make-like dependency capability into install is a
> > > cockamamy way to fix it.
> >
> > It has nothing to do with make-like dependency capabilities.  With the
> > addition of that option, install now determines if it really needs to
> > install the files rather than blindly doing it no matter what.
>
> I think Terry means this:
>
> ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG}: ${.OBJDIR}/${PROG}
> 	install ${COPY} ${STRIP} -m ${BINMODE} -o ${BINOWN} -g ${GINGRP} \
> 		${PROG} ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}
>
> install:	${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG}

Ahh, but what if ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}${PROG} was older than
${.OBJDIR}/${PROG} simply because it was deleted during a purge of
/usr/obj. My arguement is that it doesn't *need* to be installed
(especially in the case of libraries).

An include file change in one file will cause all of the libraries to
be re-compiled that depend on it, but it doesn't *necessarily* mean that
there were any changes in the library or it's functionality.

If the libraries don't differ at a binary level, there weren't any
changes, so they library doesn't need to be installed.

Nate