Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:40:33 +0400
From:      Anton Shcherbinin <useperl@fastmail.fm>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6: how can I get rid of it?

Monday, April 29, 2002, 6:33:22, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 28 April 2002 at 23:17:38 +0400, Anton Shcherbinin wrote:
>> As   I  have already said, the same happens with any application and any
>> host.  E. g., with ftp and ftp.freebsd.org :
>> 1) my host queries our DNS server for AAAA record of ftp.freebsd.org
>> 2) query times out in 5 secs
>> 3) the same query
>> 4) query times out in 10 secs
>> 5) the same query
>> 6) query times out in 20 secs
>> 7) the same query
>> 8) query times out in 40 secs
>> 9)  the   same query, *but* for A record; DNS server replies in some ms,
>> and  then    everything   goes   great,   my   host   quickly   connects
>> to ftp.freebsd.org:21 etc.
>>
>> How  can  I  fix  that?
>>
>> The   only  thing I could think of is to disable IPv6 at all. But wait a
>> second:
>>
>> $ grep -i ipv6_enable /etc/rc* /etc/defaults/*
>> /etc/rc:case ${ipv6_enable} in
>> /etc/defaults/rc.conf:ipv6_enable="NO"          # Set to YES to set up for IPv6.
>>
>>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Does not it mean that IPv6 is already disabled?

> Well, there are a number more IPV6 options than enable.  Maybe one of
> the others is set incorrectly.  Note that this is the resolver library
> trying for all it's worth to get an AAAA record.  It could do that
> even if you didn't have any IPV6 network interfaces.  I'd start by
> comparing your /etc with the /etc in the distribution.

I   have   just   reinstalled   FreeBSD   from   the   CD   burned   from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.5/4.5-install.iso
The   problem  remained  :((  I  did not touch any file including /etc/*
I did not change anything after installation.
`ping some.host.net` works fine.
`ftp  some.host.net`  and  `telnet  some.host.net  any-port`  both start
working only after 4 queries of AAAA records time out.

So,  Greg,  I  followed your advice, I have got standard /etc/* from the
distribution  now.  ping  resolves domain names as expected, but not ftp
and  telnet.  Why? Have anybody ever heard of such a trouble or am I the
only man on the Earth experiencing it? :-(

Another thing: when my brand-new FreeBSD 4.5 Release installation boots,
I see among others such a message:

Starting standard daemons: inetd cron sshd usbd sendmail

the   cursor stops after `sendmail' and it takes boot  process exactly
2  min  30  seconds  to  go  further.  Looks like two 75-second timeouts
(2 series of 5+10+20+40 s timeouts).

If  I  mis-installed FreeBSD, what could I have done wrong? I am loosing
hope  to  have a chance to enjoy FreeBSD, so please help me. Many thanks
in advance for any clue, advice or explanation.

--
Anton