Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:30:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, stt@pluto.cpe.ku.ac.th, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel modification

> #define quoting(Jonathan Lemon)
> // I can't see why you would want to re-transmit with the original MAC
> // address; this would cause arp lookups to fail, among other things.
> //
> // Even bridges put their own MAC address in the frame.
>
> Are you nuts ?  Just think: How would ARP work between machines
> separated by bridges ?

The bridge pretends to not be there if the source and the dest are
on the same side of the interface.  It rememebrs this.

If the source and dest are on different interfaces, it proxies and
fakes the MAC address.

So the short answer is "transparently and well".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.