Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:28:07 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: can any sound wzards help me set this right?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:35:15PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:04:20AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Saturday,, following the adviice of this group  plus things I
> > 	found of the web, I put together this list of mods to make to
> > 	/boot/loader.con,  /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/devfs.conf  ....Still,
> > 	after rebooting/doing-hard-resets 5 or 6times, things hung if or
> > 	if I did NOT have an audio CD in my top burner.
> >
> > 	Anybody see what's wrong with the following 37 lines of
> > 	notes?
> >
> >      ++ boot/loader.conf
> <snip>
> >      atapicam_load="YES"
>
> Atapicam is needed if you want to use cdrecord and growisofs
> (dvd+rw-tools).
>

> >      hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
>
> Mine says (note the quotes);
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

	Done, thans.

> >      vfs.usermount=1
>
> This should be in /etc/sysctl.conf

	Ah, okay. I've moved it.

> Don't forget that this is not sufficient you mount stuff as a normal
> user;
> - you need read/write permissions to the device
> - and you need to _own_ the mount point.

	This is what I chmod'd it to.  everything beneath is also 0777.
	I'll chown it and see.

drwxrwxrwx   4 root  wheel      512 Apr  8  2007 media

> >      ==========
> >
> >      ++ /etc/rc.conf
> >      devd_enable=YES
>
> By default, devd doesn't do anything usefull with CD/DVD devices, AFAICT.
> I'm not sure what you need this for.

	Don't undeerstand myself, but soomeone suuggested it.

> >      ++ /etc/devfs.conf
> >
> >      link acd0 cdrom
> >      perm /dev/acd0 0666
>
> Looks OK.
>
> I've got the following in devfs.conf, to use the CD/DVD burner as a
> pseudo SCSI device (atapicam in kernel, but not atapicd);
>
> # Give members of group cdrom access to the CD/DVD-ROM and DVD+RW via the
> # SCSI interface
> own     xpt0    root:cdrom
> perm    xpt0    0660
> own     cd0     root:cdrom
> perm    cd0     0660
> own     cd1     root:cdrom
> perm    cd1     0660
> link    cd0     cdrom
> link    cd0     dvd
>
> The following is in /etc/devfs.rules;
> add path 'pass*' mode 0660 group cdrom
>
> IIRC I did this because pass devices are created as needed.
>
> My kernel config has the following devices (among others);
> device          ata
> device          atadisk         # ATA disk srives
> device          ataraid         # RAID drives
> device          atapicam        # Emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI via CAM
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
> # SCSI peripherals
> device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
> device          cd              # Compact Disc
> device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
>
> HTH,

	The only thing missing from my GENERIC file is apaticam driver.
	That probably isn't necessary until I use k3b.

	I'll try again.. Thanks for your insights!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix