Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:23:04 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regenerating just kernel dependent parts

One thing I hit from time to time when I upgrade my kernel w/o
upgrading the rest of my system is that I'll get warnings or errors
from ps, pstat, et al.  I know that these warnings are the results of
changes to the kernel data structures, and am not complaining about
that per se.  What I'd like is some easy way to rebuild all of these
programs so that I might be able to, say, cd /usr/src/kmem ; make all
install and have them all be updated.

Is there a canonical list of these programs somewhere?  Is this easy
to generate?

I'm somewhat loath to upgrade my whole system due to the recent
utmp/wtmp changes that I don't have all the right binaries for (my X
world works and I'm loath to mess with it :-)...

Warner