Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:40:04 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: files in /var/log

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:03:28 MST, "Jan B. Koum " wrote:

> 	Also, would it make more sence to ship /var/log/messages o-r by
> default? Why do we want all world to know what goes into our
> /var/log/messages files?

By the same token, what _don't_ you want your users to see? As a
non-administrative user on several FreeBSD systems, I would be most
disappointed if my read access to maillog and messages were revoked.

Of course, if there are files that contain information you feel should
be hidden for reasons relating to system security, that's something you
should say. Perhaps you could explain the background of your query,
particularly what information concerns you?

Ciao,
Sheldon.