Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:51:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape and NIS

I have a network of around 40 Pentium/FreeBSD 2.1.5 PCs and 10 or so
SPARC/Solaris 2.5 workstations.  Home directories on both systems are
NFS automounted from a Solaris server and password information is
handled by a FreeBSD NIS server.  Netscape is used for sending and
receiving mail via POP.

Everything is working fine except for Netscape on the FreeBSD PCs
which gives a "Netscape is out of memory" error when you try to
send mail.  I searched the FreeBSD mail archives and saw a few other
people reporting the same problem but didn't see any solutions.  I
had been assuming this was an NFS file locking problem but with some
help from David Greenman I was able to determine it is actually an NIS
related problem.  When you send mail, Netscape opens /etc/pwd.db and
searches through it.  Since it can't find any user account information
(because it's in the NIS database not the local password database)
Netscape assumes there's some sort of error.  As I understand things,
Netscape uses an old version of BSDI for their development and old
versions of BSDI didn't support NIS so Netscape doesn't know how to
handle it.

My solution, since most of my users only do mail from the machine
on their desk, is to add an account for them in the local password
database on that machine.  (Of course their local account is identical
to their NIS account.)  If they need to do mail from another machine
they can just run Netscape for Solaris on one of the SPARCs and point
the display back to whatever machine they're on (which is what they
have to do now).  My solution isn't great but it does allow everyone
to run Netscape locally which helps the SPARCs do what they need to
do which is run Solaris specific applications.  Users do have to deal
with two passwords which can be confusing, but a message in /etc/motd
helps remind them what's going on.

I've posted this for several reasons.  First, as a sanity check to make
sure I'm not completely off base here.  Also to document a possible
solution for others who have this problem.   And finally to help plead
the case for a native FreeBSD version of Netscape.

Phil Gilley
pgilley@metronet.com