Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2021 10:03:24 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 32-bit executables on aarch64?

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 9:18 AM Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 08:48:50PM -0300, Mitchell Horne wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:45 PM Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Mark,
> > >
> > > The intent is to test and develop software that only runs on
> > > armv7 (specifically, Mecrisp Stellaris, a Forth system written
> > > in ARM assembly).  This is best done natively.
> > >
> > > It's actually kinda annoying that no binary release tarballs
> > > are provided for armv7, so setting up the jail involves an
> > > annoying make world step.  For amd64 jails, I can just unpack
> > > the binary tarballs and fix the configuration and I'm good to go.
> > >

> > This issue about lack of distribution sets for armv7 has come up a
> > couple of times. It wouldn't take much to start producing them
> > officially, so I plan to submit a patch for this once re@ is done with
> > the 13.0 release.
> >

> The problem is (was?) the armv6/armv7 bits used a specific KERNCONF for
> each SoC, which made it somewhat impossible to guarantee that
> distribution sets would "just work".  As I understand it now, this is no
> longer an issue.
>
> However, the release/Makefile has no real knowledge of how to build
> a release for armv7; the build is done using release.sh and a specific
> configuration file for each board.
>
> If the previous comment regarding KERNCONF is indeed no longer an issue,
> I will be happy to work with you on creating these distribution sets.

KERNCONF was never an issue for userland, outside the boot loader bits. It
mattered for a while because ubldr needed to know some stuff, but Ian fixed
even that a long time ago (9.x or 10.x time frame, IIRC).

We've moved to having GENERIC on armv7, and a special wart for RPIB for
armv6. The former should be available as a generic set, just like we do for
x86 where we bundle things with GENERIC. The RPIB stuff we can omit if need
be.

So the goal today is to have as generic an image as others. The IMAGE needs
to be flavored with a specific u-boot to be bootable, but the binaries work
with any armv7 kernel.

I'm not entirely sure that we have to do this for 13.0 at the 13.0 release,
but should for 13.1 for sure and ideally maybe a few days or weeks after
13.0 is released if possible.

Warner