Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:24:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp.apple.com running BSD 4.4 ??

This was grapped from the www.macosrumors.com site

------
As confirmed by several others, this reader happened upon evidence that
Apple's FTP servers are running BSD 4.4: the same UNIX version that
operates as the core of OpenStep 4.x and Rhapsody:

 	I decided to make an FTP connection to ftp.apple.com to see what
the remote system type was. I expected Unix, probably Sun Solaris or
SPARC, from recent discussion. but found the following:

Connecting to ftp.apple.com port 21 (11/12/97 8:13:51 PM)
220 ftp10.apple.com FTP server (Version 4.1 Tue Sep 10 08:49:22 CDT 1996)
ready.
USER anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
PASS
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-44

BSD-44? Sounds like someone is prepping for Rhapsody in a big way. I
wonder what they're running. NeXTStep was based on 4.3BSD, all versions.
Those big servers Apple used to sell ran AIX. FreeBSD on a PPC?
Somehow I think that would be a different type. Rhapsody can't be ready
for this; did NeXT Software come up with a version of NeXTStep based on
Mach 3.0 (which does run 4.4BSD)?

Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com