Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:03:09 +0100
From:      "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@black-earth.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: All-in-one Server

Am Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010 16:25:05 schrieb Matthew Seaman:
> On 10/02/2010 13:58, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Hello sysadmins,
> >
> > Happy New Year (2010)!
> >
> > Anyone knows if I can build a FreeBSD box that has:
> >
> > Firewall /Gateway /Mail Server Solution with
> > the following capabilities:
> > .       http, pop, smtp, and imap email access.
> > .       Global Address List facility
> > .       Personal Address List facility
> > .       Personal and Group Scheduling through a calendar facility
> > .       System Dashboards to allow monitoring of the Managed
> > Firewall /Gateway /Mail Server.
> > .       Ability for users to use the same password as that in windows
> > Active Directory is desired.
> > .       Connector for Microsoft Outlook (Desirable)
>
> Horde or SquirrelMail + appropriate addons
> Cyrus IMAPd or Dovecot
> Sendmail or Postfix or Exim or ....
>
> You should be able to use SASL to hook up any of these to AD for
> authentication purposes. (If you choose sendmail, you'ld want the
> version from ports so you can compile it with all the SASL bits.)
>
> Horde certainly will allow you to create Global and Personal address
> books via various different back-end databases.  In principle it can
> use LDAP so you might be able to bodge it into AD, but I'd recommend
> MySQL as the least grief, fastest benefit solution.
>
> Horde also provides shared and global calendars, accessilble via
> CalDAV.
>
> No idea what to recommend as a control panel for the firewall, MTA and
> imap servers I'm afraid.
>
> Note that Outlook is designed to work with MS Exchange, and often gives
> less than optimal results with other mail servers.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Can underline Matthews proposal. I have smoothly running a combination of
Postfix / Dovecot / SASL / Apache 2.2 / Horde / MySQL in a FreeBSD jail (with
Horde no yet fully capable).

I'll furtheron add NewAmavis / SpamAssassin / ClamAV and also complete Horde
functions as well as probably ejabberd with MySQL lookup.

Some older Outlook versions seem not fully IMAP capable but in general this
works nice with Outlook too. Postfix offers configuration options for "broken
clients" :-)

When building all the stuff in a Jail please have an eye on which of the Jail's
IPs should be used for SMTP (outgoing). The first alias IP from the hosts
/etc/rc.conf will be taken, not neccessarily the primary Jail IP.

regards
Tom