Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:33:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DVD-R  not recording .iso

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Al Plant wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> on FreeBSD 8 Current
>
> I have installed growisofs. I want to burn a DVD R of
> /path/7.2-RELEASE-p1-i386-disc1.iso .
>
> #growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd0=/path/7.2-RELEASE-p1-i386-disc1.iso .
>
> Got this from FreeBSD handbook. Get no such file or directory error. Whats
> wrong with the syntax?

Caveats about anything I say: 1) I'm using 7.2, and b) I'm using +R media.

Nothing is wrong with the syntax, although your command above says the ISO
file is in a directory called /path. Does the directory exist? Is the ISO
in that directory? Permissions OK on everything? Does /dev/cd0 point to
your burner? And as Adam said, make sure you have atapicam loaded.

I'm also assuming that dot at the end of your line is a period at the end
of your sentence, and not part of the command you issued.

> Is this the correct way to copy an .iso onto a DVD-R for installs?

It burns the ISO to the disk as a premastered disk, which is what you want
in this situation. If you wanted to just copy the ISO as a file, you'd
replace the = sign with a space.

> Or can I just use burncd like somebody on the BSD forum said they did?

I have no idea what somebody on the BSD forum said  :^)

HTH. Hang loose.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]