Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:47:29 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer filters...

    William> an Epson 1170 print driver.  Since the output from the
    William> Windows machines are not text, the special characters are
    William> killing the default filter, if there is one, that lpd
    William> uses.

Try using this filter instead:

#!/bin/sh
#
#  Pass-through filter.  Ignores filter arguments.  Passes data.
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/passthru

/bin/cat && exit 0 || exit 2

And then specify it in your /etc/printcap:

	:if=/usr/local/libexec/passthru

And don't forget to make it executable:

	chmod 555 /usr/local/libexec/passthru

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

Sometimes when I feel like killing someone, I do a little trick to
calm myself down. I'll go over to the person's house and ring the
doorbell. When the person comes to the door, I'm gone, but you know
what I've left on the porch? A jack-o-lantern with a knife stuck in
the side of its head with a note that says "You." After that, I
usually feel a lot better, and no harm done.  -- Jack Handey