Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:15:47 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps doesn't need privileges?

Chris Costello wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Now that I think about it, it shouldn't be too hard (TM) to finish off the
> > /proc/pid/cmdline stuff so that ps didn't need to access /mem and didn't
> > need setgid at all.
>
>    What about the `e' flag?

I'm of the opinion that this particular beastie should be restricted to
seeing your own processes only (unless you're root).  Implementing
/proc/pid/cmdline (globally readable) and /proc/pid/environ (user, group
kmem readable only), and turning off setgid kmem for ps.

I've lost count of the number of things that want you to do things like:
  setenv CVSPASSWORD foo
etc.

Cheers,
-Peter