Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 03:00:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/14563: Wrong manpage produced by `man 4 fd'

The following reply was made to PR docs/14563; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:46:42 +0000

 On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 05:06:22PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
 > >Synopsis:       Wrong manpage produced by `man 4 fd'

 > 	Typing "man 4 fd" produces a man page talking generally about UNIX
 > 	file descriptors.
 >
 > 	This is in conflict with the established convention that `man 4 foo'
 > 	produces documentation for the `foo' device type (and its driver).
 >
 > 	`man 4 fd' should produce documentation relating to the `fd' (floppy
 > 	disk) device type.  (See `man 4 fdc')
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > 	man 4 fd
 >
 > >Fix:
 >
 > 	Use `man 4 fdc' instead.

 Sorry, I don't understand.  The situation is as you say it is.  Are you
 documenting the fact, or do you want it fixed?

 If you want it fixed, did you have anything in mind?

     % apropos fd

 works, with the fdc manual page being the third thing it lists.  As things
 stand, section 4 of the manuals seems to be the right place to put both
 the fd and fdc manual pages.

     If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
     on a penguin's face forever.
         --- with apologies to George Orwell