Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2013 01:59:16 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   auditdistd user preventing installkernel

Hi all

I was updating a newly installed FreeBSD 9.1 RELEASE box to 9-STABLE,
and was preparing to install the kernel in order to reboot to test it.

However I was immediately hit with this:

> # make installkernel DESTDIR=/ROOT/9-STABLE-2013-04-13
ERROR: Required auditdistd user is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
*** [installcheck_UGID] Error code 1

I did see UPDATING...

20121218:
    With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is now
    depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used to add
    the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.

It instructed me to run "mergemaster -p" prior to installworld (this
should always be done anyway, according to updating). But I'm not
installing world yet, just the kernel.

Should UPDATING be corrected?

Cheers

Tom