Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 11:03:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of points about ports

> >A lot of ports under 2.X suffer from a different definition of "sys_errlist"
> >Most of the times the patches symply remove the offending line in the
> >source. Is there any better way ? In stdio.h, there are a couple of
>
> The correct way is to remove all declarations and explicit use of
> sys_errlist and sys_nerr and use strerror().  This is a worse way
> if you want a quick and dirty port.

Well you suggest how to fix the code, but a lot of code already
exists and new one will come out with the wrong (for FreeBSD 2.X)
declarations. Anyways, if I remember well, the actual problem is
that in stdio.h there are a couple of __const in the declaration
of sys_errlist which do not appear in the offending sources. Could
we try to compile them with -D__const= ?

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522