Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:53:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        branson@widomaker.com, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Username Length....

Don Yuniskis wrote:
> >  Ok.. I figured out how to get the username length to 11 characters.
> >  You have to change  in /usr/include/utmp.h:
> >
> > 	 #define UT_NAMESIZE     8
> > 	 #define UT_NAMESIZE     11
> >
> >   because in /usr/include/sys/param.h:
> >
> >   	/* MAXLOGNAME should be >= UT_NAMESIZE (see <utmp.h>) */
> >    	#define MAXLOGNAME      12        /* max login name length */
> >
> >   and rebuild the clibs and associated programs ( make world gets them
> >   all ). but my question is this... what is the reason for keeping it
> >   at 8 characters?!? I know that there may be problems with ls.. and I
> >   am contemplating patching that.. but what other problems would I
> >   encounter?
>
> Because *other* programs assume this also.  Consider rebuilding world
> and all ports, etc.  And if your box talks to *other* boxes that
> *don't* know about your "enhancement", LOSE LOSE...
>
> This has been covered *several* times in the past.  Check the
> mailing list archives.

One thing that I've ran into when running mixed systems (FreeBSD and BSDI) is
that BSDI does allow long (16) user names and I've had to adjust for this.
You either recompile all or tell you admin people to NOT allow longer than
8 characters.

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team