Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 13:59:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /usr/local misuse (Was: Confusing error messages from shell image activation)

Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> types:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 08:21:28PM +0100, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > Agreed. It would be nice if FreeBSD could use the same system as NetBSD,
> > storing the packages/ports under /usr/pkg.
> That's why PREFIX exists.

I know. Unfortunately, support for PREFIX seems to draw more lip
service than actual service. I've urged a number of times that
portlint should test for this, or that the porters handbook should
include instructions for checking this (it's actually pretty easy),
all to no avail. Last time I checked, Perl modules installed by the
standard perl module installer always go to /usr/local. Other may go
to ${PREFIX}, but the Perl interpreter doesn't know to search there
for modules, so the port generally winds up broken anyway.

On the upside, I regularly pr (with patches as often as possible)
ports that aren't PREFIX-clean, and they do get fixed.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.