Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 02:49:53 -0500
From:      Troy Settle <pitlord@usit.net>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        James Chyn <jchyn@pluto.njcc.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: login (rm -rf, and goodbye)

Snob Art Genre wrote:

> Use the login name "root" with no password.  Then use the adduser utility
> to make a user account for yourself, and use that account instead of the
> root one.  The reason to do that is so that you won't, in a moment of
> distraction, type something like "rm -rf *" and destroy your whole system.
> (Don't scoff, it happens even to the smartest of us.)
>
>  Ben

Yep, sure does happen to all of us.  Sometimes, it happens
intentionally.  Try it sometime, you might enjoy the experience
(of doing it on purpose).  I did a 'rm -rf /' on my 2.1.5
system when I wanted to swap out HDs, and install 2.1.6.  It
was quite interesting, as I was running X.  When all was said
and done, X, 3 rxvt's, ircii, netscape, ijppp, and a slew of
other processes were still going.  I was even able to continue
browsing the web and chat on irc.  The only thing left to do,
was to power down, and start over.  whee!  what fun it was. :)

(sorry for this useless post, but I'm bored :)

cya!
Troy

--
.signature files suck a big one