Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2018 16:31:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      freebsd@fongaboo.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "J.B." <non.euc.geo.1854@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to prevent HDD spin-down.

You didn't mention the line of WD drive, but I was offered this solution
when trying to use a Caviar Green in my FreeNAS:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/

https://youtu.be/J2eYyRI_F98

I haven't tried it myself yet but I wonder if it would apply to your
situation. Unfortunately it's not a BSD-based solution and would require
you to remove the drive and connect it directly to a DOS/Windows machine.

I've also told that it needs to be a direct bus connection, and using
things like a USB-to-ATA adapter would prevent the S.M.A.R.T. commands
from being sent to the firmware of the drive.