Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 14:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        giffunip@asme.org
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> It depends on your definition of evil. If it's in religious terms, him
> saying "there is no God" is probably sufficient to consider him evil.

	i dont believe that atheists are evil.  i am not too concerned
with what people believe, its how they act that matters to me (speech
is an act, especially if one convinces others to act).

> On social terms, an evil person is someone that receives satisfaction in
> harming others, so I could say he is evil.

	Stallman "receives satisfaction in harming others"?  I dont
know what factual information this is based on....some have written
that Stallman has an agenda that he keeps secret.  I have not seen
any reason to believe that. (almost by definition, no?)  Stallman has
done a lot of good for the Open Source community.   Look at the number
of programs that people use in which he has had a pivotal role.  If he
had not done the job, someone else may have.  The fact remains that he
did, and therefore those that use software developed by/for the FSF
owe him a debt of gratitude.

	At least that's how I view it especially while writing this
email using emacs compiled with gcc.

jmb