Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:51:06 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE apps

--T7mxYSe680VjQnyC

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:11:38AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 05:10:05PM +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> > On 05 Jun Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	Anybody know a means of using some of the more nifty KDE=20
> > > 	tools--say, kdict--without using Gnome or KDE?
> >=20
> > Run a window manager (fvwm2?) ;-)
> >=20
> > The needed (kde) libs always need to be installed though.
> >=20
>=20
> 	I'm still using ctwm; it was just up-rev'd to v 3.7=20
> 	so it's not totally dead!  in my opinion, ctwm can be=20
> 	hand-tweaked to any degree.  Re kde, I think I have=20
> 	everything installed to run it as another user. =20
> 	This is installed: /var/db/pkg/kdelibs-3.4.0_2  and
> 	the Gnome tools run.  KDE, nope. =20
>=20
> 	(?)
>=20
> 	gary

One thing I have found about attempting to run KDE apps when using
another wm is that KDE apps will usually launch up several other KDE
related processes (kdeinit, etc.) that eat up a lot of memory.  I once
just renamed kdeinit to something like kdeinit.off so that I could use
ther tabbed X terminal program called konsole.  konsole gave some errors
on launch, but otherwise mostly worked, though some functionality was
working.  In short, it seemed to me that if one is going to run a bunch
of KDE apps they are probably best off to just run KDE wm, too.

Nathan

--T7mxYSe680VjQnyC

--T7mxYSe680VjQnyC--