Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 00:33:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@gil.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help - I'm locked out and don't know how to get in!!!

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Keith Leonard wrote:

> out). Now when I try to log in as root with the right password BSD tells
> me that bash isn't in /usr/bin and loops me back to the login prompt. I
> tried booting single user mode but that only allows me to check the
> filesystem and look around (ro), so I can't change anything.

Boot single-user, and type "mount /".  This will remount it read/write.
Then run vi or whatever on /etc/passwd and change it.  Bash (at least the
packages/ports version) installs into /usr/local/bin/bash.  (note in
order to access vi, other editors, etc, you MAY have to mount /usr, if
you installed it as a separate partition, so just type "mount /usr").

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **