Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:06:01 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        "Dutch Ingraham" <stoa@gmx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vim / gvim unable to get hardcopy

On Thu, November 9, 2017 12:26, Dutch Ingraham wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:54:53AM -0500, James B. Byrne via
> freebsd-questions wrote:
>> I discover this morning that I cannot print hardcopy from vim.  I do
>
> You likely need to set a default printer, if you haven't done so.  See
> <man 8 lpadmin> and specifically the -d switch.

Oh, it was worse than that.  I discovered that lpd is not enabled as a
default on FreeBSD and that I had to add the line -- lpd-enable="YES"
-- to /etc/rc.conf to get things to start printing.  I infer from
this, and from the mass of printing that came off the system printer
as soon as cups-lpd was started, that printing from vim, or nay other
cli command, has not worked on this system since it was installed in
July.

Funnily enough, I found that the settings in /etc/printcap were all
there for the printers we have on the network. As were the spool
directories in /var/spool/lpd/.  I have no idea how that happened and
yet the lpd service was not enabled.

Thanks.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3