Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 23:44:01 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-970124-SNAP: man page search order

As Robert N Watson wrote:

> 2. The real thing is this.  The man page search order finds all of the c
> programming calls after the TCL ones, so "man bind" returns TCL's bind,
> not the syscall bind.

I'm also fairly annoyed by this.  I never got it right why Tcl
installs its man pages into the inofficial section `n' in the manual
at all (is it really something to be considered `new' these days? :),
but it's particularly annoying to have this section being searched in
front of the standard sections.

(I wonder what people would say if we now also came up with another
set of man pages for already used names, for everything inside of
Perl. :-)

--
cheers, J"org