Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 01:28:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Robert F. Ross" <rross@recourse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.3.1, FreeBSD 4.5, JNI and select()

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 12:58:56PM -0700, Robert F. Ross wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the JDK1.3.1 as compiled from /usr/ports in
> FreeBSD4.5 is compiled with -pthread.

Yes and no.  A particular threading subsystem (native threads) is compiled
with -pthread.  The default green threads are not.

> An ldd on the final java binary
> shows that it's using libc.so.4, not libc_r.so.4. I've been experiencing
> problems with select() calls in JNI routines always waiting for the full
> timeout when checking readfds (write seems happy) instead of returning as
> soon as the data is available. poll() appears to have the same
> behavior. Has anyone seen this issue and know how to fix it?

Not having tried to do this I haven't seen this issue.  The Java Comm API
uses this select() in JNI code and seems to work ok, however I'm not
sure of the details.  It might be worth looking at the code for it
(its in the PR system to be committed as a port if it hasn't been
already).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com