Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:43:03 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        dikshie <dikshie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: japanese keyboard after xorg upgrade

--------------enigB6385A89296459D3F8975762

dikshie wrote:
> Hi,
> any explanation why my japanese keyboard
> does not work after xorg upgrade?
>=20
>=20
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
>         Option "XkbModel" "jp106"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "jp"
> EndSection
>=20
> any solutions?

Is it hald that's detecting your keyboard for the X server?  You can
tell this by reading Xorg.0.log -- something like this indicates hal=20
involvement:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
(**) AT Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) AT Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
(**) AT Keyboard: XkbLayout: "gb"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) AT Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)

Now, hal has no way of telling what sort of layout a keyboard has
automatically[*].  You can tell it what to use by creating a file
/usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi with contents similar to
this:

<?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version=3D"0.2">
  <device>
    <match key=3D"info.capabilities" contains=3D"input.keyboard">
      <merge key=3D"input.xkb.layout" type=3D"string">gb</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Obviously, you'ld want 'jp' in ther rather than 'gb'.

[Not certain exactly what you'ld need to add to override the default
XkbModel setting (pc105) -- but I suspect analogy and guesswork will
serve you well enough in this instance]

Note that there is a race condition on system reboot between xdm(1) or
whatever display manager you use starting up and hald(8) having fully
initialised -- there have been a number of workarounds posted in this
list.

Alternatively you can use the following setting in the ServerLayout
section of xorg.conf:

        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

This essentially tells X to just use the values from xorg.conf.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] As far as I know.  It seems like a pretty odd omission to me and
I'd love to be proved wrong.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW