Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 13:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   GNAT Ada compiler:  chicken & egg?

I'm currently in the process of compiling the GNU/NYU Ada Translator (or
GNAT) which sits on top of GCC.  Since GNAT itself is WRITTEN in Ada,
it's going to be a tough chicken-and-egg sort of thing:  It looks like
I'm going to have to cross-compile GNAT on another machine which already
has GNAT (my SPARCstation 20 at work, for example) and then, if all goes
well, I'll be able to compile GNAT with itself on my FreeBSD box.

A couple of questions for other ports hackers:  When I'm finished, I
guess I'd have to upload GNAT as both a package and a port, since unless
you already have GNAT, building it from source is next to impossible.
Has anyone else pursued or ported similar "self-compiling" programs, and
can you give me any tips?

BTW, in case you're wondering why I'm messing with a language like Ada,
suffice it to say that it's the primary language at my university (Cal
Poly, Pomona), and it's a very powerful, modern, object-oriented sort of
language (esp. Ada 95 compilers such as GNAT), although very
anal-retentive (more so than Pascal, even)..  :-)

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL