Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:50:32 -0800
From:      gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

On Jan 21,  3:08pm, Brett Glass wrote:
} I can see that in icmp.c, there is a test that prevents us from
} sending an ICMP packet to a multicast address. And in tcp_input.c,
} the code near the label "dropwithreset" prevents a RST from being
} sent in response to a packet whose DESTINATION was a multicast
} address. But I don't see anything that stops it from going
} out when the SOURCE was a multicast address. So TCP attempts
} to send a RST to that address (something that should be
} fixed!).

Barf!  If this is the problem, then IPFW should be able to block the
attack.

I'm tempted to move the existing multicast tests up to the top
of tcp_input() and check the source address as well.  I just hate
to add extra code to the main code path, though.