Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:26:23 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot fork

How to I get rid of the cannot fork messages?  I have maxusers set to
be 30 for my 486 box, yet I still get these messages from time to
time.  I just upgraded from Nov 24 -current to Jan 19-current and have
found that the number of times I'm hitting this seems to be much
greater.  I had a build of ispell going, an emacs window and a find |
xargs egrep from another xterm.  Plus twm and xclock.  This shouldn't
run me out of process slots (ps auxww | wc said 50, a surprising round
number).

Any ideas on how I might track down this problem?  I'm rebuilding my
kernel now with MAX_CHILDREN set to be 256 rather than whatever the
default is.  We'll see if that is the problem.  Over time I keep
bumping limits and I'm fine for a while, but after a while I start to
hit the cannot fork messages again.

Thanks for any help you might be able to render in my endevors...

Warner