Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, bde@zeta.org.au, imp@harmony.village.org, steveo@eircom.net, david@catwhisker.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symlink(2) [Was: Re: tcsh.cat]

:On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:31:41 -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
:> It seems your argument to disallow null symlinks got somehow taken
:> as an argument to disallow all "invalid" symlinks then.
:
:
:To say it more clear: now I even not against ""-symlinks making ability,
:such strings are valid per POSIX after all, as already noticed in this
:discussion. I am against _resolving_ them to illegal "" name (and to "."
:in pathnames) which cause all errors that Bruce describe.
:
:--
:Andrey A. Chernov

    This is a reasonable distinction to make.  If someone actually tried to
    open() a ""'d symlink an argument can be made to return a specific error
    rather then trying to resolve it.  I'm not sure it's worth it, though.
    It just doesn't come up that often and there are a thousand other ways you
    can hogtie yourself in the system that takes less effort.

					-Matt