Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:30:03 -0400
From:      Brad Mettee <bmettee@pchotshots.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rblsmtpd/qmail-smtpd hung processes

I've run into a bit of a problem and if I don't solve it soon, I'm going to
be without e-mail (and so will a lot of other people). This is a bit long,
I'm trying to include anything that may help.

The problem is that qmail-smtpd and/or rblsmtpd get stuck and don't close.
After a while the server just quits accepting smtp connections, or will
connect/disconnect very quickly (connection closed by foreign host). Using
kill on these processes just opens another instance of them (they're
managed by /var/service). Since I'm not seeing any log activity that shows
what's going on, I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I know the
processes are supposed to be timing out and closing, but don't seem to be
doing that

Has anyone seen this problem? I've tried searching for info on it, but
can't find anything that looks similar. I currently have rblsmtpd disabled
since it sits between the outside world and qmail-smtpd. The errors don't
occur quickly, it seems to take multiple hours to occur so this is hard to
debug because I can't create the problem on demand. Any ideas are welcome.
(hopefully I'll be able to get mail from this address long enough to fix
this - it's one of the ones that's been moved to this machine already)

uname -a
FreeBSD ns1.pchotshots.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
10:35:36 UTC
2008     root@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Related ports in use:
ucspi-tcp-0.88_2
qmail-1.03_7
qmailadmin-1.2.10,1
vpopmail-5.4.26_1
dovecote-1.0.14

A quick bit of history:
Our email/dns provider is closing up shop in about a week (good friend of
mine was a small ISP). I only had about 3 weeks notice on this and I've
been configuring a pair of FreeBSD machines (I posted to the list a couple
weeks ago, thanks everyone for good replies, ) to take over DNS and E-Mail
for about a dozen sites. Basically I've been on a crash course of learning
as I go.

         Brad Mettee
         PC HotShots, Inc.
         Baltimore, MD
         (410) 426-7617

      -> Let us bring out the *Power* of your PCs. <-
-> Custom Business Software Solutions since 1991 <-

visit http://www.pchotshots.com for information about our company.