Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 01:12:42 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        carl <statik@cris.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console reso.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 03:31:48PM -0700, carl wrote:
> I recently tried to get a 800x600 resolution console. As i read in the
> manual page for vidcontrol i put in the SC_PIXEL_MODE options in my kernel,
> i then config'd,installed, and reboted. The manual page then said to do
> " vidcontrol VESA_800x600 " ..after doing this command i got an error msg
> stating
> it could not raster device, operation not supported by device.  I have a
> stb nvidae velocity 128 agp card, in xwin my resolution is just fine at
> 1024x768 so i know it isnt a hardware problem.

Oh yes it is. Well not exactly a *problem*. In order to run VESA modes
on the *console* your card needs the VBE (VESA BIOS Extensions) to be
on-chip. ATI cards don't have this, you have to run a DOS TSR program
which of cause you can't do under FreeBSD. Running 1024x768 in X is a
different matter altogether.

I too have an ATI card (Xpert@Work) and have the same "problem".

HTH

> please email back, thank