Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 18:33:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1022196819.b8dc4d@mired.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?
References:  <20020516004909.A9808@daemon.tisys.org> <20020516151801.A47974@energyhq.homeip.net> <20020516172853.A7750@daemon.tisys.org> <3CE40759.7C584101@mindspring.com> <20020516220616.A51305@energyhq.homeip.net> <3CE43D08.1FDBF0A3@mindspring.com> <20020517163624.GB9697@hades.hell.gr> <3CE58F73.1A7F50AF@mindspring.com> <p05111717b90b4c01f392@[10.9.8.215]> <15589.63655.94078.482179@guru.mired.org> <3CE61284.80ADD241@mindspring.com>

In <3CE61284.80ADD241@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> typed:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > >       Naw, you want something that just automatically works, and
> > > doesn't require any buttons.
> >
> > I almost replied to Terry pointing out that the Linksys cable/dsl
> > router has no buttons. You shut off all your gear, plug the modem into
> > the WAN side, plug your computers into the LAN side, and then turn on
> > the modem, router and systems in order. If you've got typical Windows
> > installs, you're done.
> You just turn it on?
> With a button?
> 8-) 8-).

Nope - with a power cord.

> > If you need something that requires a static IP address - like an NFS
> > server - you have to configure it. If your systems were doing dialup
> > internet, you'll have to run the internet wizard on them. If you want
> > to run web servers and the like, you have to configure it yet more.
> The idea that there is a requirement for static addresses for servers
> is a common misconception.  So is the idea that your gateway has to
> be at a specific location, etc..

Good point. If you control the DNS, the requirement for many such
static IP addresses go away. The linksys doesn't do it's own DNS,
though.

I guess if all your external serves are on the magic box, you don't
need to deal with nat, either.

> > But those options are for geeks. For a small all-MS shop that
> > outsources it's servers, it's a near-perfect solution - unless you
> > want to run netmeeting including someone not on the LAN. I'm waiting
> > for them to announce a firmware upgrade running an OH323 gatekeeper,
> > but expect it to be a new product.
> That's actually a protocol design bug.  Protocols that require
> application layer proxies have an intrinsically broken design
> (e.g. RealPlayer).  These broken designs are usually intentional,
> in order to control the market.

I don't think that's the case here. There's already an open source
gatekeeper package for OH323.

The reason I didn't write the first time was because I realized that
Linksys has done just what Terry was saying FreeBSD has failed to do:
They've identified a target market, and produced a box that that
market can use as a true plug-n-play device. They've provided enough
configuration that geeks in that market segment will probably be
happy, but you don't *have* to do any configuration in the target
market. I think the market is changing on them because of NetMetting
and clones. The question is whether they will adapt to the changing
conditions.

	<mike