Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:02:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared /bin and /sbin

:People are afraid that it would mean more disk space used on /, not
:less.  They worry that shared libraries are not robust enough to cope
:and your system will be completely useless if one file (/lib/libc.so)
:goes away.  They also worry about duplicated disk usage between
:/usr/lib/libc.so and /lib/libc.so and possible version skew.
:
:I personally don't like the idea as default.  However, in an embedded
:enviornment where the flash is read only, with spares on the shelf in
:case of failure (any failure) it may be an acceptible way to go.  It
:won't save much space (my estimates are in the neighborhood of 3MB),
:but on a 16M flash, 3M can mean the difference between fitting and not
:fitting.
:
:Before this spirals out of hand, no, I'm not even suggesting that we
:do this by default.  I was just asking if it could be done.  So far no
:one has said no.
:
:Warner

   Linux kernel has a separate /lib and /usr/lib.  If you install the linux
   compatibility port you will see what a huge bloated mess the linux /lib
   has become.

   I much prefer the FreeBSD way of doing things.  There should be only one
   lib -- /usr/lib, and things critical to booting should be compiled static.

   Obviously people with special needs can compile the binaries up however
   they like, but I don't think we should change the base distribution's
   way of doing things.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>