Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 06:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)
To:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sather-1.0.5

I was going to let this one ride, but I don't like having my work
described as `deficient', so, Jeffrey, please choose your words a bit
more carefully next time.

> 	Given that by that time there was already a port to NetBSD, perhaps
> 	you should have looked at that.
>
> I did.  It was deficient for reasons which I forget.  Also, I'm probably
> thinking about Sather 0.5, which was when I first started.

That's your problem, then - the bad memory, I mean.  The first port to
NetBSD (and 386BSD) was 0.2i, which I did, with some testing from Mark
Weaver (weaver@brown.edu).  In fact, I remember telling you about the
Boehm garbage collector and its use in Sather, after a query from you
about ML and garbage collection (see below).  The Sather port to
NetBSD was and is not deficient in any way.  If you have any evidence
to the contrary, please produce it.

> From agc Wed Nov 24 08:22:13 1993
> Subject: Re: signal handlers
> To: hsu@soda.berkeley.edu (Jeffrey Hsu)
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 93 8:22:13 PST
>
> Jeffrey,
>
> > I'm trying to port some garbage collection code to FreeBSD which relies
> > on having the address of a faulting reference being passed to signal handlers.
> > SunOS, for example, has an extra addr parameter to do exactly this.
> > Are there any good reasons for us not to add the addr parameter to signal
> > handlers?
>
> I suggest you look at Hans Boehm's garbage collector -
>
> ftp.parc.xerox.com:pub/russell/gc-3.4.tar.Z
>
> I managed to port it to NetBSD 0.9, and left hooks in there for
> FreeBSD 1.0.  I can send you some better patches to it if you want.
> This was to get Sather 0.2i working on NetBSD.
>
> Regards,
> Alistair

> 	And note that 1.0.6 is very different to 1.0.5, and wouldn't compile
> 	out of the box on NetBSD (or NeXTstep) as previous versions had done.
>
> Yes, I know about 1.0.6.  I've known about it since the instant it was
> placed for ftp the day after code freeze.  It's no big deal to get 1.0.6
> to run on FreeBSD.

1.0.6 was in limited beta prior to its release.  It compiled and ran
fine on NetBSD, and a binary was made available.