Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:09:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file locking.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:35:20PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On Thursday 16 August 2007 04:18:51 pm Jeff Roberson wrote:
>>> Do we have an official stance on libkvm?  Now that we have sysctl for
>>> run-time it's only useful for crashdump debugging.  Really in most cases
>>> it could be replaced with a reasonable set of gcc scripts.
>>
>> s/gcc/gdb/.  At work we do mostly post-mortem analysis, so having working
>> libkvm is still very important for us.  xref the way I just fixed netstat
>> to work again on coredumps recently.  Breaking fstat on coredumps would
>> probably be very annoying.
>
> This applies at Juniper as well.  I think post-mortem analysis is a Big
> Deal(tm) to those developing commercial products based on FreeBSD.

I think it's a given that post-mortem analysis will be more fragile than live
analysis due to weaker ABI requirements for in-kernel data structures -- on
the other hand, it's also a critical feature.  I think keeping libkvm
functioning on core dumps is really important -- the ability to run ps,
netstat, etc, etc, all on core dumps is remarkably useful in debugging.

What I occasionally wish is that all the magic in DDB could also be used on
coredumps -- i.e., that we could compile the kernel DDB bits into a user
binary to run on matching core dumps in order to more easily extract things
like WITNESS data, etc.  No doubt a moderate amount of evil would be required
to do this...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge