Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 01:51:24 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Are files, pkg _and_ scripts needed?

Michael Haro wrote:

> Hi, is there any reason to have a files, pkg and scripts directory?
> It seems to me that pkg and scripts could be merged into the files
> directory.  Wouldn't this make the ports install much faster?  A good
> chunk of the ports have only 1 file, md5, in the files directory right
> now and 3 files in pkg.  This change would involve lots of repository
> copying and testing, but it is probably worth it.

	Personally I agree. Less directories == less inodes, which is a good
thing. I can justify having patches in their own directory, but I don't see
any reason not to combine all the other files into one directory.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"