Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:44:31 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushnir@ap3.bitp.kiev.ua>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yamaha OPL-SA2 & newpcm: recognized but no sound

Hi,
unfortunately, neither of those shows anything: mixer device seems to work
perfectly all right (just as everything else 'cept for the sequencer,
which shows " device not configured" when I try to play a midi), but I
cannot test them, since there is no sound. I mean,
mixer shows that everything seems to be all right: volume, pcm, synth and
so on, but nothing goes out of speakers. And it is not a laptop, soundcard
isn't an on board chip, just a cheap (pun's unintended) Yamaha card.

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Since a newpcm/new PnP code commitment I'm desperately trying to get sound
> > out of my soundcard (Yamaha Sound Origins, OPL3-SA2 ISA pnp card). It is
> > recognized (see dmesg output below), seems to get right resources - but no
> > sound at all. It used to work under VoxWare as css device & friends, but
> > does not want to anymore either :-(
>
> I added some code to the mss driver to implement more mixer functionality
> for the yamaha but I wasn't able to test it properly since the sound
> hardware on my laptop seems to be wired up a bit differently from 'normal'
> opl3-sa2 cards. Can you check with e.g. aumix or kmix to see if any of the
> mixer controls affect this?
>
> --
> Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
> Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 442 9037

Regards,
Vladimir