Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:13:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RELEASE panics during the floppies boot

Hello

FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE panics during the floppies boot with following
messages:

panic: inthand_add: Can't initialize ICU
syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bdwrite: buffer is not busy

The box have two ISA PnP cards - a NIC based on UMC UM9008/F chip and
Creative SB16 based on ViBRA16 chip. There are no PCI cards although
there are 4 PCI slots. The video card is ATI XPERT 98 AGP based on ATI
RAGE XL chip. There is also one non-PnP ISA card - a hardware 33600bps
modem based on Rockwell chip.

The BIOS have "PnP OS" option that can be set to "No" or "Yes". If it
set to "No" the BIOS initialize all PnP devices, including ISA PnP
devices. Before the MBR loading (boot0) BIOS prints on the screen a
diagnostic information about all initialized PnP devices, including
choosen to them resurces (IRQs, DMA channels). In my case it choose IRQ
10 for my ISA PnP NIC and IRQ 5 with DMA channel 0 and 1 for my ISA PnP
Creative SB16. Currently installed OS-es are FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE and
Win98SE.

Win98SE get to know that BIOS already initialized all ISA PnP devices.
Win98SE use the same resurces that BIOS choose. The resurces are IRQ 10
and I/O port range 0x0240-0x025F for the NIC and IRQ 5 with DMA
channels 0 and 1 for the SB16. Port ranges of SB16 are not so
interesting for us, so I don't tell they.

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE don't know that or don't use PnP BIOS features.
Instead 4.7 re-initialize all of my ISA PnP devices with different
resurces' parameters. For example, it use IRQ 5 and I/O port range
0x0200-0x021F for the NIC.

FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE (when I do floppies boot) try to use IRQ 2 and same
I/O port range for the NIC. It prints following line just before the
panic:

ed1: <ISA PLUG & PLAY  Ethernet Card> at port 0x200-0x21f irq 2 on isa0

If I set in my BIOS the "PnP OS" option to "Yes" I don't get this line
but FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE still panics during the boot. The panic
messages are exactly the same.

So, we have two problems:
1. FreeBSD (all versions) do not know about BIOS's PnP devices
   configuration support (at least for ISA PnP devices).
2. When FreeBSD 5.0 try to configure PnP devices (at least ISA PnP
   devices) it do it wrong way. FreeBSD 4.7 do it better but
   not perfect.

I think that future FreeBSD releases must be able to work better with
PnP BIOS features. Plug and Play configuration capability must be
improved too, especially in 5.X.

P.S. The same panic was already discussed about a year and half before.
This is the link to archived copy of one that discussion member:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=471741+0+archive/2001/freebsd-current/20010930.freebsd-current