Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 15:01:34 +0000 ()
From:      Remy.Card@masi.ibp.fr
To:        pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil (william pechter ILEX)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

> One question is -- should we just port ext2fs? (There's already a lot of
> people experimenting with both FreeBSD and Linux.  There's already a
> read-only port of FFS to Linux.

	I have already talked with Jordan about this port.  I plan to port
Ext2fs to FreeBSD as ssoon as I get a little free time.

> One drawback is the need to make ALL the BSD utilities (dump, restore, etc.)
> play nice with ext2fs.  (One reason I went to BSD from Linux was the lack
> of dump/restore).

	Well, Ext2fs comes with its own utilities (mkfs, fsck, tunefs, dumpfs,
mklost+found, debugfs -- the filesystem debugger) so the BSD utilities should
not need to be modified when Ext2fs is ported to FreeBSD.  Oh, BTW, I have
ported dump and restore (the 4.4BSD versions) to Ext2fs and they run fine.
They are not public yet (there are in testing phase) but I should be able
to make a public release next week.

> Cpio and tar do not make a backup scheme.
>
> Bill
>  Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
>  Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
>  908-532-2369 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil

		Remy