Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:32:46 +0100
From:      phk@phk.freebsd.dk
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC] splitting of conf/NOTES

I am violently in favour of having compilable LINT kernels on all
platforms, but I do not like the path we are heading down splitting
NOTES into per feature files:  It does not solve the fundamental
problem and it simply does not scale in the long term.

Part of the fundamental problem is that a single LINT kernel, even
per architecture is not able to test both branches of an
#ifdef/#else/#endif construct.

Generating a LINT1 and LINT2 per architecture would give us much
better code coverage.

Going down the path of NOTES.this and NOTES.that does not help us
solve this problem becuase it does not capture the information we
need to know, but it does take us down a path of total fragmentation
into umpteen files which nobody will have any kind of overview off
how is stuck together in a few months time.

There are two ways to do this right:  Either one large or strictly
per feature information files which capture the knowledge today
captured in GENERIC/NOTES, conf/options* and conf/files* and in
addition contains the bits of information we need to generate
correct LINT files per architecture.

I would personally prefer that it be strictly per-feature files
since huge files tend to become unmanagable as well.

I am not going to raise a bikeshed about the format of said files,
I'll just leave my bucket of blue paint here for those who will do
the bikeshed.

1. Strictly per feature files, not "adhoc groupings"

2. Much more expressive format than NOTES needed.

Poul-Henning