Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:45:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working (apparently) soft-update code available.

> > look in:
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/softupdates4.tgz
> >
> > first extract the README and read it before extracting everything.
> > this should patch cleanly against last night's -current.
>
> Julian, is this safe for an SMP system?

As long as you are using the Big Giant Lock, it should be safe.

The syncer process that replaces updated runs as a kernel process;
this means that it's a process in the kernel address space and
with a seperate stack.

In theory, this will prevent you from coming in an doing something
while it's doing something.  But this theory depends on the Big
Giant Lock in the scheduler.  A pushdown below the system call
trap layer could make this dangerous, unless done exactly right.

Heed Julian's warning and run it on an expendable partition.

I would be very interested in seeing a three-process thrash on
a two processor machine (or an N+1 process thrash on an N processor
machine) to see if you can kick it in the groin through the
scheduler (SMP FreeBSD does not have CPU affinity in the form of
seperate scheduler queues with a roll count for the idle process
to determine the right time to do load migration).

"We didn't make the Big Giant Lock, we only made it Big and Giant!"
						-- FreeBSD/SMP

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---