Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:13:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Walters <hannibal@cyberstation.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-RW documentation...

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Never mind, it's amazing how you always find things right after you give
> > up and ask.  :)  For anyone wondering, the motherload of specs can be
> > found by ftp at fission.dt.wdc.com, including the working draft of the
> > ATAPI Removable Rewritable Specification, SFF-8070.  Wish their web pages
> > would mention the site.  :)
>
> Thanks for finding the number for me; I ran out of patience downloading
> them, struggling to print them and giving up 8)

It may be SFF-8080 though - I thought 8070 was it, but after reading the
intro it sounded more like something for the new floppy drives...  8080 is
clearly CD-RW.

> Nobody's begun any work, as such.  Again, I exhort you to look at
> Justin Gibbs' CAM framework; it is the future of mass storage
> interfaces in FreeBSD, and we should be looking towards it.

Already downloaded it, just havn't had the chance to look at any of it
yet.  I take it that going the CAM route would be a completely different
approach than writing an ATAPI sub-driver?

Dan Walters
hannibal@cyberstation.net