Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:40:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting from Microsoft (was: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up))

On Sunday, 28 June 1998 at 10:04:35 +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>>> Soon no one will have Windows 95 or earlier so its going to be
>>> pretty hard to install FreeBSD from the CD-ROM.
>>
>> Why do you say that?  Win95 is hardly the only, or even most
>> recommended, way of staging a CDROM installation.
>
> OK,  I'm not saying people wont be able to install at all.
>
> I'm just saying that people who try to use the batch file
> on the CD-ROM which runs fbsdboot.exe are going to be confused
> as to why it crashes all the time (if "options VM86" is in the
> generic kernel).
>
> Somewhere it will have to be documented that Windows 98 users
> will have to make the FreeBSD boot floppy and boot from that
> to install.
>
> I haven't tested all combinations and I realise that there
> will still be several ways of installing FreeBSD, But I think
> it should be documented that certain ways are not going to
> work.

I've put a lot of effort into making it clear that any attempt to boot
FreeBSD from another running operating system or Microsoft product is
a matter of luck at the best.  That notwithstanding, there's no reason
to expect things to stay the way they are: somebody will get around to
making it possible to boot from Microsoft's latest.

Greg