Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:02:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release - a nightmare

> this is a long story, I'm afraid, but I think
> I identified some of the main problems, so maybe
> they can be fixed..

Well, I think these basically miss one fundamental point: The release
target isn't aimed at users. :)

If you're going to roll releases, there are quite a few prerequisites
to keep in mind.  First off is the fact that this whole thing has been
rolled for and by the release engineer(s) - it's not designed to be
easy to use, simply to be comprehensive enough to build a complete
release.  This is why, for example, the encryption bits are
non-optional.  I expect to build both crypto and non-crypto bits since
that's what a release contains.

In any case, I'm sure the stuff could be cleaned up and I'm always
willing to look at diffs, but just to make the point that this was
never really meant to be all that clean in the first place - it's like
the underneath of an escallator; only the service techs are really
meant to be looking at it anyway. :-)

- Jordan