Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:35:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      bartling@cyrix.com (Steve Bartling)
To:        proett@nas.nasa.gov (Tom Proett)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd2.2.2, adaptec 1742A and Ultra SCSI drive (fwd)

> > I got the dsp software from Lars' ftp site.
> >
> > Now if I could figure out which parameter(s) to
> > tweak, I would be happy. There is one vendor
> > specific mode page (38H) on this drive, but I have
> > no idea what the modes represent.
> >
> > I am flying blind ...
> >
> > - Steven
> >
> > P.S. I am confident in my ability to hose this up
> >      without some further education.
>
> All I could think to do would be search the micropolis website
> (or the whole web (:-)) to find whatever info there might be
> out there.  If you make enough of a noise, the micropolis
> people should be willing to send you a hardware manual
> that would have the info.
>
> Tom
>
> --

I am already talking to micropolis "managers" instead of
the folks who normally answer the phone.

Micropolis has a "policy" of not releasing mode page information.

Since the 4743NS works fine with newer scsi controllers
( I tested it with a 2940 ), their position is that it is
an adaptec problem anyway.

Adaptec folks state that they do not provide support for
a controller that old. If they did, it would cost me $35.00
per phone call anyway. They have zero interest in modifying
the 1742 bios in order to fix this problem.

Do you think reducing the maximum possible value of the synchronous
transfer rate will help ? The micropolis folks said that if I
reduce the maximum allowed synchronous rate by modifying the controller
card parameters, the drive should limit itself to the slower
negotiated rate.

I think that is absolutely true. However, I wonder if the
"offending" scsi parameter will be modified as I reduce
the transfer rate setting.

I am having more fun everyday :-(

Thanks,

- Steven Bartling